- Open Access
- Authors : Prof. Dr. A. J. Gujar , Ashwin S. Pawar, Krishna V. Bajari, Nikhil S. Sinnur, Suraj S. Hatkar
- Paper ID : IJERTV8IS110089
- Volume & Issue : Volume 08, Issue 11 (November 2019)
- Published (First Online): 10-12-2019
- ISSN (Online) : 2278-0181
- Publisher Name : IJERT
- License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
A Review Paper on Design and Development of SPM for Drilling and Boring Operation
**Prof. Dr. A.J.Gujar, *Ashwin S. Pawar, *Krishna V. Bajari, *Nikhil S. Sinnur, *Suraj S. Hatkar
**Professor in Mechanical Engineering, *Student D.Y. Patil College of Engineering and Technology, Kasaba Bawada, Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
Abstract:- This paper deals with design, development and fabrication of Special Purpose Machine. This machine is designed for the purpose of multi operations i.e. drilling, reaming, boring and clamping and de-clamping. This Machine will perform multipurpose operation at same time with required speed and this is automatic which is controlled or operated by motor which is run with the help of electric power supply. This multi operational machine is used in SAI Industries, Kolhapur for drilling and reaming of the Rocker Arm.
Index Terms:- Special Purpose Machine, Rocker Arm, Drilling, Boring, Conventional Machining, Automation, Productivity.
Special purpose machine are those machine which are not accessible off the shelf. These are not secured in standard manufacturing programs. Therefore they must be designed and tailor made as per the customers specific requirement. They are additionally called as Bespoke Machines. Exceptional reason machine is a piece of multitasking machine. In the event that we think about between common machine and unique reason machine as far as time, costs, number of steps included, and so forth. This is new way to deal with expansion the productivity of association the multitasking machine is favoured decision.
Innovation of special purpose machine is settled on the standards of minimization of cost, enhanced efficiency and enhanced security, better wellbeing and so forth. Which gangs with high beginning venture, higher support cost and so on Special purpose machine is higher degree system in which human support is given by mechanical, electrical, liquid force advances fit for doing physical exertion and even mental work as if there should arise an occurrence of CNC machine.
The special purpose machine and automatic machines are intended to operate continuously for 24 hours a day, with minimum supervision. The special purpose machine is generally product specific and they are required to be designed and developed for every specific requirement. At times it may be possible to cater to the jobs having similar features yet differing in dimensions by using change tooling concept.
In case of mass production where variety of jobs is less and quantity to be produced is huge, it is very essential to produce the job at a faster rate. This is not possible if we carry out the production by using general purpose machines. Special purpose machine are not secured in standard manufacturing programs. Therefore they must be
designed and tailor made as per the customers specific requirement.
- LITERATURE REVIEW
The exhausted literature study has been carried out on design and fabrication for SPM. The findings of various scholars in the field of design, fabrication and analysis of SPM have been presented below:
- P. R. Sawant et al.(March 2012) – Developed machine which has main objective was to drilling and tapping of TATA cylinder block which has 8 drills in which 7 holes of Ã˜6.75mm and one of Ã˜ 12mm also linear tapping operation for Ã˜12mm and angular tapping operation for Ã˜ 5.1mm. It saves time for loading and unloading due to use of hydraulic clamping and increases production rate, less rejection of work due to automatic control.
- Manish Kale et al. (June 2015) – Studied on Design, fabrication and analysis of SPM for reaming and drilling. In this situation study they develop SPM for riveting and drilling of the work-piece of different sizes and thickness. The SPM uses pneumatically operated cylinder for drilling riveting operation. They also use ANSYS for checking stress analysis. The case study concludes that SPM is beneficial as it reduces process time.
- Nikhil J Surwad et al. (2015) – Studied on design and develop a special purpose machine capable of performing trimming and drilling operations altogether on the tail lamp bracket casting of a motor cycle. In this study the design is to trim out the flashes generated after pressure die casting process from 14 different areas of the casting and to drill 2 holes on the same casting.
- Prof. Chukwumuanya et al. (November 2016)
– Investigated Design and develop multiple spindle drilling head for mass production of Peugeot 504 automobile brake drum. In this design they developed multi-spindle drilling head for drilling 6 holes at a time, in which 4 holes of Ã˜14.5mm and 2 holes of Ã˜8.5mm. They analysis the various gear forces theoretically. It concludes that mash increases production rate as compare to individual drilling operation.
- Prof. A. A. Shingavi et al. (March 2018) – Concentrated on configuration and improvement of multi spindle drilling head for process duration advancement of the part and examination of efficiency of segment utilizing ordinary outspread penetrating machine and unique reason
machine. It reasoned that by utilizing multi spindle penetrating head profitability will increment. Probability of opening missing is killed, in light of the fact that six gaps penetrated at once. The expense per piece is diminished.
- A.S.Udgave et.al. (March 2018) – In this paper author studies and tries to study attachments for the radial drilling machine to make it special purpose machine. This will increase productivity and also reduces time. In this paper work is done on the currently going on job as well as it includes industrial case study. Multi-spindle head is developed to drill two holes simultaneously in one setting only. Two spindles are driven by a single motor with mechanism of changing speed. Different mechanism is given to the table and spindle head to adjust according to work piece. Also this paper gives information about types of multi spindle drilling head.
- Yaman Patel et.al (March 2018) – Studies different problems that are restricting mass production rate and develop a new drilling machine in which the main purpose is to minimize time required for drilling holes on different PCD and also paper deals with the improvement of cycle time.
- P.O. Boucharda, et.al. (Aug 2008) – This pamphlet was published on Numerical modeling of self- pierce riveting from riveting process modeling down to structural analysis focused on the numerical modeling of the SPR process. They had used the finite element software to enables the model for large deformation of elastic plastic materials for 2D and 3D configurations. A Lemaitre coupled damage model had been implemented to deal with damage during the process and fracture was modeled using the kill element technique. They had also check the influence of the transfer of important mechanical fields, such as residual stresses or damage, on the final mechanical strength of the riveted specimen.
- A.S. Aditya Polapragada, et.al (April 2015) – Published the paper on pneumatic auto feed punching and riveting machine in (IJERT). In this paper they had design and fabricate the unit and stated the importance of the pneumatic press tool had an advantage of working in low pressure, even a pressure of 6 bar was enough for operating the unit. The die used in this was fixed such that the die of required shape could be used according to the requirement. This enables them to use different type punch dies resulting in a wide range of products.
- A. M. Takale et.al. (April 2015) – Was focused on Design & manufacturing of multi spindle drilling head (msdh) for its cycle time optimization, This paper deals with design and development of multi spindle drilling head for cycle time optimization of the component. Their attempts have to improve the productivity by reducing the total machining time and combining the operations. They have design the major components of multi spindle drilling head like main spindle gear and main spindle and calculate the stress analysis. By using multi spindle drilling head productivity will increase. Because with the present process one hole produces at a time requires 4 minutes for each component (because tool change takes place for drilling 5mm hole (for M6x1 tap)). i.e. 12-15 parts are produced during one hour, but by using multi spindle
drilling head cycle time approximately takes place 1 minute.
- Kaushar H. Barad et al (Oct. 2016) – Automated Of Conventional Radial Drilling Machine. They observed that by use of this automation manufacturer can drill holes easily, more accurately and in less time, with minimum errors so manufacturing cost will also reduce.
- Sharad Srivastava et al. (June 2014) – Developed a conceptual model of a machine which would be capable of performing different operation simultaneously, and it should be economically efficient. In this machine we are actually giving drive to the main shaft to which scotch yoke mechanism is directly attached, scotch yoke mechanism is used for sawing operation. On the main shaft we have use bevel gear system for power transmission at two locations. Through bevel gear we will give drive to drilling center and grinding center. The model facilitates us to get the operation performed at different working center simultaneously as it is getting drive from single power source. Objective of this model are conservation of electricity (power supply), reduction in cost associated with power usage, increase in productivity, reduced floor space.
- Prof. M.B. Bankar et al. (Jan 2013) – Studied Improvement in design and manufacturing of multiple spindle drilling attachment, in which they uses planetary gear system for drilling operation. This case study they briefly gives information From this review, it was found that no combine work has been carried out on the given subject, so we have carried out our work on the outline.
- Pratik Parsania et al. (June 2013) – Studied on Design for Multi spindle drilling SPM. In this case study it is shown that how effectively SPM work as compare to conventional drilling machine. In conventional drilling machine it takes 8 hours for drilling 2400 pieces per day and by using it takes only 3.33hours for drilling 2400 pieces per day hence it is largely affects the production rate. Hence this case study concludes that use of SPM is most important in small scale industries.
- Prof. Bajirao H. Nangare Patil et al. (May 2013) – Studied Design and development of gear box for multi-spindle drilling machine. This case study drilling of 26 holes of various sizes, are carried out on cylinder block. This study conclude that due to use of spur gear noise reduction, reduction in cycle time, increases production rate and also holes are drilled with required accuracy and tolerances are maintained.
Conventional Machine Vs. SPM
PARAMETER CONVENTIONAL SPM MACHINE
Rs.1,50,000 Rs. 4,50,000 CYCLE
2-2.50 min 40-50 sec JOB/DAY 240 720 TARGET CANNOT ACHIVED CAN BE 17000/MONTH COST/JOB
PARAMETER CONVENTIONAL SPM MACHINE
Rs.1,50,000 Rs. 4,50,000 CYCLE
2-2.50 min 40-50 sec JOB/DAY 240 720 TARGET CANNOT ACHIVED CAN BE 17000/MONTH COST/JOB
By conventional machining methods, only one job can be worked at about designing drilling attachment from motor selection to its gear box. This study concluded that Multi spindle drilling attachment increase productivity, reduces cycle of operation and perform drilling operation more accurately.
a time, resulting in lesser production. Todays industrial requirements demand faster production with increased accuracy.
Common problems faced by conventional machining are complicated jig and fixture design to hold component and guide drill bit, controlling drill depth, pressure applied to handle of drilling machine, human error while loading and unloading work piece on fixture, and accommodate change in size of drill hole.
In developing world, performing drilling, reaming and boring operation simultaneously on the same machine was a bigger problem for manufacturing company and workshop holders, individual drilling, boring and reaming machines were exist in the market, but they were not beneficial for workshop holders, small industrialist and entrepreneurs to buy separately due to very high cost.
Current the Sai Industries, Shiroli is using central lathe which machines the Rocker Arm per month as per order. By conventional lathe method for drilling and boring of each rocker arm the time required is 2-2.50 minutes therefore in one shift of 8 hours 240 jobs are completed.
Solution: – By manufacturing SPM the time required for each rocker arm is 40-50 second therefore in one shift of 8 hours 720 jobs are completed. So Sai Industries has been decided to manufacture SPM for drilling & boring.
The growth of Indian industries is depending on productivity. In this paper for improving productivity study some paper related to automation and combine operation. This paper gives the information of SPM for drilling and boring. The main concept of this project work is to design & developed a special purpose machine, which can be used for drilling and boring the work piece having different thickness and material on the same machine.
- Prof. P.R. Sawant, Mr. R. A.Barawade, Design and development of SPM-A cases study in multi drilling and tapping machine. E- ISSN2249-8974,IJAERS/Vol.I/IssueII/January March, 2012/5557.
- Prof. P.R. Sawant, Mr. R.A.Barawade January-March, 2012,Design and development of SPM – A case study in multi drilling and tapping machine, IJAERS, Vol. I, E-ISSN-2249 8974.
- Manish Kale, D. A. Mahajan, Dr.S. Y. Gajjal, A review paper on development of spm for drilling and riveting operation, International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering Volume 5, Issue 4, April 2015.
- A.M. Takale, V. R. Naik; January-April 2012, Design & manufacturing of multi spindle drilling head (msdh) for its cycle time optimization, International journal of Mechanical
Engineering applications research, Vol 03 ISSN: 2249- 6564.
- A.S. Aditya Polapragada, K. Sri Varsha, September 2012, Pneumatic Auto Feed Punching and Riveting Machine, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) ISSN: 2278-0181, Vol. 1 Issue 7.
- P.O. Bouchard, T. Laurenta, L. Tollier, August 2008, Numerical modeling of Self-Pierce riveting from riveting Process modeling down to structural analysis , Journal of materials processing technology, Velizy – Villacoublay, France.
- Kaushar H. Barad , Muksh . Balsara, Giriraj J. Patel, and Saurin
M. Sheth Automation Of Conventional Radial Drilling Machine National conference on Innovations in Mechatronics Engineering (IME-09) 13-14 March, 2009.
- Prof. M.B. Bankar, Prof. P.B. Kadam, Prof. M.R. Todkar, Improvement in design & manufacturing process of multiple spindle drilling attachment, IOSR Journal of Engineering, Volume 3, Issue 1, Jan 2013, 38-43.
- Pratik Parsania, Prof. Jignesh Dave and Brijesh Garala, Design of hydraulic power pack for SPM (Multi Spindle Drilling), Indian journal of applied research, Volume 3, Issue 6, ISSN- 2249- 555X , June 2013.
- Bajirao H. Nangare Patil, and Prof. P. R. Sawant, Design and Development of Gearbox for Multi Spindle Drilling Machine (SPM), International journal of engineering research & technology (IJERT) Volume 2, Issue 5, ISSN: 2278-0181, May- 2013.
- Nikhil J Surwade, Vinay K Thute Design and Development of a Special Purpose Machine for Combined Trimming and Drilling Operations on Tail Lamp Bracket Casting of a Motor Cycle International Journal of Innovative and Emerging Research in Engineering Volume 2, Special Issue 1 MEPCON 2015
- Chukwumuanya, Emmanuel O, Obuka, Nnaemeka Sylvester P, Onyechi, Pius C, and Okpala Charles*, Theoretical design and analysis of a semi-automatic multiple-spindle drilling head (msdh) for mass production processes in developing countries, International journal of engineering and innovative technology (IJEIT) Volume 2, Issue 5, November 2012, 260-266.
- Prof. Ms. A.A. Shingavi, Dr. A.D. Dongare, Prof. S.N. Nimbalkar Design of Multiple Spindle Drilling Machine International Journal of Research in Advent Technology (EISSN: 2321-9637) ICATEST 2015, 08 March 2015.
- Yaman Patel, Nikalas Bhandakkar, Prashant Wangarwar, Pranay Thakre, Sagar Awachat, Ms. Manisha Fande Design and Fabrication Multi Spindle Drilling Machine with Different Pitch Hole March 2018.